The South Central Climate Science Center is pleased to announce that it will be offering a summer undergraduate internship opportunity in 2017 for students of underrepresented minorities interested in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields (for example, agricultural science, economics, environmental engineering). Interns will be involved in hands-on activities related to climate research that will allow them to see the direct impacts of climate variability and change on the West Texas Southern High Plains, prairie and forest ecosystems and tribal cultures in Oklahoma, and the bayous, delta and coastline of Louisiana. Internship participants will travel across the South Central United States to visit university campuses and field locations, so they must have the physical ability and willingness to travel or work outside as well as endure different living conditions. Internship participants must be comfortable (but do not have to have prior experience) with traveling by boat and kayak (safety equipment will be provided).
Samples of the 2014 and 2015 itineraries are available:
The internship will take place from Sunday, July 9, 2017 to Saturday, July 29, 2017. Interns will spend one week with Louisiana State University, one week with the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University, and one week with Texas Tech University. All meals, lodging and travel will be provided during the three week period. In addition, interns will receive a $200/week stipend for the duration of the program. The program will not cover local travel between the participant’s home to their closest airport, personal equipment (clothing, cameras, etc.), or other personal expenses.
* Applicant must reside in and be traveling from Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, or Texas
* Applicant must be 18 years or older by July 9, 2017
* Applicant must have a valid social security number
* Applicant is required to sign Waiver and Release of Liability forms upon arrival
* LSU – http://www.southcentralclimate.org/content/documents/LSU_Waiver.pdf
* OU – http://www.southcentralclimate.org/content/documents/OU_Waiver_On_Campus.pdf
* OU – http://www.southcentralclimate.org/content/documents/OU_Waiver_Off_Campus.pdf
* OSU – No waiver required.
* TTU – http://www.southcentralclimate.org/content/documents/TTU_Waiver.pdf
* Applicant must have medical insurance during the period of the internship
* Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student in either a 2 year or a 4 year institution for the Fall 2017 semester
In addition to completing this application form, applicants must obtain at least 1 letter of recommendation (maximum of 3) from an instructor with whom they have either completed coursework or conducted a research project. Letters of recommendation should be emailed directly by the instructor to email@example.com with the applicant’s name in the subject line. Completed applications and recommendation letters must be submitted by 5:00 PM Central Time on Friday, March 17, 2017. Applicants may be contacted for additional information at a later date. Selection decisions will be emailed back by early April.